Saturday, December 4, 2010

Lauren Turns 3

This year we had her party at 4 seasons health club. We invited friends and family to have cake and snacks. The kids did a pinata and then they got to go swimming. Lauren wanted to have a Dora party so we had a Dora theme. She had a lot of fun. She was so excited to have her friends come.








She had a hard time blowing her candle out because...guess what.... she's afriad of fire.....even tiny fires.
On her actual birthday we went to Peoria to the NICU so we could make a donation. We have gone every year since she was born. Craig had class so it was just me and Lauren. It was one of those days that I had the best of intentions and it turned out to blow up in my face. I took a 1/2 day thinking that it would be nice not to be rushed and to get to Peoria earlier so we could get back. We arrived in Peoria about 2:30 and I didn't want to go to the NICU right away because it would have been during shift change so we went to Burington Coat Factory. I made a wrong turn so I had to back track (the first of many wrong turns) and then we shopped a little bit which was fine. When we walked out it was snowing. Lauren was excited and wanted to catch flakes in her mouth. So then we were on to the NICU. It has changed so much since they added on the Children's Hospital so I made my turn and saw the parking garage but missed my turn into the garage again so had to go around the whole hospital. So we park and go in. The Children's Hospital is all brand new. I didn't really know where to go so I had to ask. It was easy to find the NICU. But in the past we would go to the same place Lauren was and we would go down the hall where her collage of pictures hang and I would give my donation and then some nurses would come out and chat with us. So when I got to the desk I explained that it was her birthday, that we come every year, and we brought some blankets and a check. He just took my stuff and wrote my name down and sent us on our way.....I was a little disappointed. Lauren kept saying can we go to the NICU. All I could say was we just did. So it was around 4ish when we got in the car and I had planned on taking her to the Festival of Lights. It was still snowing but not too bad. To make a long story short I had a very hard time finding the Festival of Lights. I made several wrong turns and when I knew I was on the right track I finally asked for directions and the lady gave me very wrong directions. Well I was not giving up I wanted Lauren's birthday to be special and I knew we were very close. I asked again and this guy gave me good directions...we got up there and I rolled my window down and the guy says $10 please.....I don't have any cash. Well my pregnant, hormonal, frustrated self broke down and started crying very quietly so Lauren didn't know I was crying. I turn around and go back down the hill.....after an hour of finding the damn place. I was not giving up! There was a bank at the bottom of the hill so I went through the ATM and headed back up the hill, paid the guy, and let Lauren out of her seat. She sat on my lap and we drove through the lights. It was so worth it. She was so excited and the things she said about the lights were so cute. She even said "I love this day mom". So we get on the road to go home and at this point it is snowing pretty hard. Well the roads were awful and it took over an hour to get home. We got home safe and sound, got in our jami's, curled up on the couch, and watched Dr Sues cartoons I had taped, we cuddled until she fell asleep in my arms and I carried her to bed.......a very memorable 3rd birthday for my little Lauren.




3 comments:

Steph said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe all of that. That is so cute that she LOVED her day!!!! What a sweetheart!

Katie said...

Awwww! What a crazy day! The hormonal crying story rang several bells with me from last year! Ha! Glad you persevered and she loved the lights. I really want to take Holden. We had a blast at her Dora party!

LOMO Family said...

What a cute picture of the 3 of you! Sorry about your trip to Peoria...good for you for persevering! What a special day for Lauren!